Google Webmaster Tools
Red....This bloomer is a Rudbeckia which is the same family as black eyed susans, so you know they are hardy and come back year after year. Rudbeckia is obviously a native plant to Michigan. This variety was bred to give us the terrific color. Just go easy on the Cherry Brandy while quarantined or you'll end up with a terrific headache!
Cherry Brandy Gloriosa Daisy
Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherry Brandy'
• Beautiful Cherry Red petals surrounded by a dark chocolate center. Yummy!
• Long bloom time; can be dead headed for reblooming
• Compact. 20” H x 15” W
• Prefers all well-draining soil types and full sun
• Water regularly 1st year then once per week until established.
• Can divide every 2-3 years.
Photo Courtesy of Creek Hill Nursery
I thought I'd post something with spots and a little out of the ordinary to start your week. This perennial loves the woodland setting and needs constant moisture, I would leaf mulch it for sure. Grows in Partial to Full Shade so it's a very slow grower. SLOWLY spreads by rhizomes, not invasive at all. So this fella would love the wet conditions outside today. Worth a kiss? Not in my book.
• Shade loving perennial; great for woodland gardens, shade areas or naturalized areas
• Small white, reddish flowers with purple spots and yellow throats; blooms August and September
• 24” H x 18” W will slowly spread by rhizomes
• Prefers partial to full Shade and medium to wet conditions
From my nursery Facebook page, the chosen color today is Yellow. This gal shows off a pure yellow bloom and it's deer resistant! If you're not familiar with Itoh Peonies, they're worth a look. Sure they cost a little more, but the double blooms and full coverage from ground up makes this a real stunner. They're also one of the longest living shrubs around which makes them a good investment. I'll have these available later this spring or when we can all leave our homes. Flower Power! Keep those bobbers floating.
Itoh Bartzella Yellow Peony
• Itoh Bartzellas feature very large luminous yellow blooms in mid-season
• Semi Double to full double bloomer of 6” to 8” flowers; up to 60 blooms on an established bush!
• Peonies prefer deep well-draining soil in full sun. Needs consistent watering when young than can withstand dry conditions. No fertilizer needed.
• Planting depth is absolutely critical for flower performance – 1 ½ “ to 2” below soil line
• 36” H x 36” W Deer Resistant!
I hope no one is offended, but I thought it would be fun to feature 7 great bloomers in 7 days. Got a favorite color? Respond here and I'll do my best to come up with a plant. Many of you here are previous customers. I'm not going into a long story right now, other than to say thank you and God willing and the creek not rising, we'll all be getting back to normal soon. Stay well.
Salvia nemorosa Bumbleberry
• The dark fuchsia pink on dark wine calyxes makes other salvia pale in comparison
• When Salvia blooms in late spring, the pollinators literally swarm this plant
• Dwarf size: 10” H x 12” W
• Easy to grow, regular soil and full sun
• Deer and rabbit resistant – scent.
• If plant is leggy after bloom cut back; may get a second bloom
Photo by Walters Gardens Inc.
We all have them. Even mom had her favorite. I've had these in my beds for years and just love the color contrast of this old time favorite. Others come and go, but Guacamole withstands the test of time.
• Here’s a hosta standard that just looks great in your hosta bed say no more
• Rapid Grower that is sun tolerant
• Apple green leaves with dark margins
• Pale lavender flowers; large hosta
• 22” H x 38” W
• Prefers well-draining woodland conditions with dappled sun
• Best to heavily mulch in fall to prevent root heaving
Photo by Walters Gardens Inc.
Nepeta - Catmint is an easy plant to grow and one of those plants that always performs really well. Not fussy on soil type, but prefers full sun for maximum flower power. This is not Cat Nip, but some cats do like the scent. It's a good plant for dog lovers too!
Nepeta Catmint ‘Kitten Around’
Nepeta faassenii Kitten Around
• A lot of old Nepeta had a tendency to get big, messy and out of control. Yet we all love the periwinkle blue flowers
• Kitten Around is a tight mounded petite plant- perfect for tight spaces or edging
• 12” H x 20” W
• Easy to grow – regular soil in full sun; deer and rabbit resistant - scent
• Shear back in early spring to keep the tight appearance and again after first bloom to get a second summer bloom
Photo by Walter's Gardens Inc.
There are times when plant breeding really does improve a variety. This Sunjoy Barberry is a great example. The Barberry was a staple plant used by landscapers for years. The Japanese Barberry is a deep purple picker bush that I myself hated when I crashed into one learning to ride a 2 wheel bike. They are great in landscapes as they are obviously deer and rabbit resistant. Here's the problem. Japanese Barberry are very invasive and will multiply by spreading it's seed. I read a great article written by the breeder of this new barberry, he was able to create a sterile plant! So now you can again use barberry in your landscape! Hey the snow is melting! Now is a good time to get outside, start cutting back grasses, and start cleaning up your beds.
Sunjoy Neo Barberry
Berberis Sunjoy Neo
• You’re asking for something deer won’t eat? This is the shrub for you!
• Bright orange foliage especially in spring and fall will add great color
• Thrives in full sun with little to no maintenance in any well-draining soil
• Water well 1st year then can withstand drought conditions
• 30” H x 30” W
Photo by Proven Winners Inc. www.provenwinner.com